The two-day work abstention of the teachers who joined government colleges after passing the BCS exams continues for the second day on Monday. Photo: Prothom AloThe two-day work abstention of the teachers who joined government colleges after passing the BCS exams continues for the second day, halting regular classes in government colleges on Monday.The BCS general education association called the two-day work abstention protesting at the government’s plan to give teachers of nationalised colleges the same status and benefits as them.BCS general education association president I K Selimullah Khondakar said if the demands are not met then they will hold another two-day work abstention from 6-8 January 2018.He said that they would not have any programme in December as it was victory month. During that time they would carry out a campaign instead.He also said that teachers will take up indefinite work abstention if any decision was taken outside of the prime minister’s orders and the education policy. On Sunday, the BCS teachers halted work, demanding ‘no BCS, no cadre’. Following their protest, the National University postponed all its exams for Sunday and Monday.Recently the government took initiative to nationalise around 300 colleges and to give about 12,000 teachers of these institutions the same status and benefits as the BCS teachers.
Bus services of 11 northern districts with the capital via Bogra resumed on Wednesday evening after a suspension of around 12 hours over a dispute between bus workers and owners in Bogra.The decision was made at an urgent meeting convened by the deputy commissioner of Bogra with the local leaders of transport owners and workers, reports UNB.Earlier in the morning, transport owners of 11 northern districts—Bogra, Naogaon, Joypurhat, Dinajpur, Thakurgaon, Panchagarh, Rangpur, Nilphamari, Gaibandha, Kurigram and Lalmonirhat—suspended the bus services via Bogra over an internal conflict with workers, inflicting untold sufferings on passengers.However, the buses from Rajshahi, Chapainawabganj, Natore, Pabna, and Sirajganj were plying leading to Dhaka as per the schedule.
Khaleda Zia. File PhotoA Dhaka court on Thursday extended until April 22 the bail of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in the Zia Charitable Trust graft case.Judge Md Akhteruzzaman of the Special Judge Court-5 passed the order following a petition filed by the BNP chief’s lawyers.The BNP chairperson was not produced before the court on Thursday as she was ill, said her lawyer Md Sanaullah Miah.However, Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) lawyer Mosharraf Hossain Kajal filed a petition seeking to continue the hearing of the case through video conference as the former prime minister was ill.On March 28, the same court extended until April 5 the bail of the BNP chair in the graft case.The court order came after the ACC had appealed to it, saying it was not possible to continue arguments in the case without the presence of Khaleda Zia.On March 13, the court had ordered the jail authorities to produce Khaleda Zia before it on March 28 and 29 for hearing.On August 8, 2011, the ACC filed the Zia Charitable Trust graft case with Tejgaon Police Station accusing four people, including Khaleda Zia, of abusing power in raising funds for the trust from unknown sources.The same court on February 8 last convicted her in the case and sentenced her to five years’ imprisonment.
President Abdul Hamid is addressing the inaugural ceremony of the three-day national level programme at Trishal marking the 119th birth anniversary of national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam on Friday. Photo: PIDPresident M Abdul Hamid on Friday said the new generation will contribute to rebuild an exploitation-free and non-communal society being imbued with the patriotism and ideology of national poet Kazi Nazrul Islam.”Nazrul was not merely a national poet of Bengal, he was a poet of reawakening and equality . . . He was strongly vocal against exploitation, deprivation, repression, superstition and subjection,” the president said while inaugurating the three-day national level programme at Trishal marking the 119th birth anniversary of Nazrul.The president expressed hope that the new generation would get inspiration to be enlightened themselves from the quenchless flame lit by poet Nazrul for changing the society and contribute to rebuild a “Sonar Bangla”Paying rich tribute to the memories of the national poet, president Hamid said Nazrul was born at Churulia village in West Bengal, but he spent most important time of his life at Darirampur village of Trishal since 1914.As poet of equality, the president said, Nazrul played immense role in reawakening Bengalis, raising voice for Independence, speaking against fanaticism and communalism through his talents, rich and valuable literary works, lectures, philosophy of his life and spreading human values. Nazrul visited different areas of east, north and south parts of Bangladesh several times and exchanged views with people of the then backward remote areas and created awareness of equity and patriotism.”His literary works also inspired our Bengali people against the exploitation and deprivation of the then Pakistani ruler. Nazrul’s patriotic and enthusiastic songs, poems helped gear up our movement during the Liberation War,” Abdul Hamid, a war veteran, observed.Calling Nazrul a poet of inspiration for the Bengali nation, the president said Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman brought the poet along with his family members to the soil of Bangladesh showing due respect to him in 1972.Information minister Hasanul Haq Inu, additional secretary of the ministry M Mosiur Rahman and deputy commissioner of Mymensingh district Suvash Chandra Biswas, also spoke.Simeen Hussain (Rimi), MP, chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on the cultural affairs ministry, presided over the programme, followed by a cultural function.
The Kremlin may have spent years reviling America, but Russians hoping Donald Trump will usher in a new era of detente marked his inauguration on Friday with parties and trinkets from commemorative coins to “matryoshka” nesting dolls in his image.Washington was turned into a virtual fortress with an estimated 900,000 people—backers and protesters—descending on the capital. In London, anti-Trump activists draped a banner reading “Build Bridges Not Walls” from Tower Bridge. Protests were planned across western Europe on Friday and Saturday.But according to Gennady Gudkov, a Putin critic and former lawmaker, Russia is in the grip of “Trumpomania”, with state media giving the President-elect blanket air time at the expense of more mundane and sometimes depressing domestic news stories.That, he said, was in part because the U.S. election, unlike elections in Russia, had been unpredictable. The Kremlin is hoping Trump will ease sanctions imposed over the annexation of Crimea, team up with Russia against Islamic State, and cut back NATO military activity near Russian borders.Craftsmen in the city of Zlatoust, east of Moscow, have released a limited series of silver and gold commemorative coins, engraved with “In Trump We Trust” – an allusion to the phrase on U.S. banknotes “In God We Trust”.‘TRUMPOMANIA’Sellers of traditional matryoshka nesting dolls have added Trump dolls to their popular line-up of items carved in the likeness of President Vladimir Putin, Bolshevik revolutionary Vladimir Lenin, ex-President Mikhail Gorbachev and Josef Stalin.And a shop selling Russian military kit located opposite the U.S. embassy in Moscow has unveiled a cheeky promotional campaign offering embassy employees and U.S. citizens a 10 percent discount on its wares to celebrate Trump’s inauguration.Some of Trump’s opponents believe the Kremlin helped him win the White House by staging a hacking campaign to hoover up embarrassing information about Hillary Clinton, his rival. The Kremlin denies that, but few here make any secret of the fact that they are pleased that Trump and not Clinton triumphed.Relations between Putin and Barack Obama had soured badly.“Trump’s election has generated enormous enthusiasm in Russia because his warm words about Russia and Putin have given us hope that the USA and the West will stop their attack on Russia,” Sergei Markov, a former pro-Putin lawmaker, said on social media.“We don’t know for sure if there will be an improvement (in relations) or not. But we Russians are optimists … so we are hoping for the best, while preparing for the worst.”For Russian nationalists, Trump’s inauguration is an excuse to mix fun with self-promotion.They are holding an all-night party at what used to be the main Soviet-era post office in Moscow where they will showcase their favorite prop, a triptych of Putin, Trump and French Front National leader Marine Le Pen.Konstantin Rykov, a former pro-Putin lawmaker and one of the event’s promoters, said on social media it was right to celebrate the first phase of the “New World Order.”“Washington will be ours,” he quipped.
Israel announced Sunday it had reached a deal worth $630 million to provide India’s navy with missile defence systems, following a record weapons sale between the two countries last month.The new contract will see state-owned Israel Aerospace Industries supply LRSAM air and missile defence systems for four Indian naval ships, a statement from the company said.IAI said the contract will be carried out with India’s Bharat Electronics Limited, which will be the project’s main contractor.”The new contract adds to other deals signed in the last decade by IAI with India’s defence forces, reinforcing IAI’s global leadership position in air and missile defence systems,” IAI president and CEO Joseph Weiss said in a statement.LRSAM is an advanced air and missile defence system, jointly developed by IAI and India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation.In April, IAI said India will buy nearly $2 billion worth of weapons technology from Israel in what was described as the “largest defence contract” ever signed by the military exporting giant.
Rescue personnel have cordoned off the area at the Turku Market Square in the Finnish city of Turku where several people were stabbed. Photo: AFPFinnish police arrested five people in a Turku apartment overnight in their investigation into a stabbing rampage that left two people dead, they said Saturday.Police shot and wounded a knife-wielding suspect on Friday, arresting him minutes after an afternoon stabbing spree at a Turku market square. Police on Saturday raised the number of injured in the attack from six to eight.“There was a raid and we have now six suspects in custody, the main suspect and five others,” detective superintendent Markus Laine of the National Bureau of investigation told AFP.“We are investigating the role of these five other people but we are not sure yet if they had anything to do with (the attack)… We will interrogate them, after that we can tell you more. But they had been in contact with the main suspect,” Laine said.Police have not confirmed the identity of the suspect, but Laine said investigators were “pretty sure” they knew who he was.Police have so far only described him as “a young man of foreign origin”, providing no other details except to say they were collaborating with the Finnish Immigration Service.The suspect is being treated in hospital in intensive care for a gunshot wound to the thigh.The motive for the attack was not yet known, and police have refused to confirm if it was terror-related.“We haven’t yet interrogated the main suspect because of his medical condition,” Laine said.Media reports in Finland said police believed the suspect had picked his victims at random, but Laine could not confirm that.Police have said it was likely the suspect acted alone, but added they were looking for “other possible perpetrators.”Central Turku was swiftly cordoned off after the attack, which occurred just after 4:00 pm (1300 GMT), although the area was reopened several hours later.Finland also raised its emergency readiness across the country after the stabbing, increasing security at airports and train stations and putting more officers on the streets.In June, Finland’s intelligence and security agency Supo raised the country’s terror threat level by a notch, from “low” to “elevated”, the second notch on a four-tier scale.It said at the time it saw an increased risk of an attack committed by the the so-called Islamic State (IS) group.
Hedait Hossain Mollah. File photo UNBA Khunla court on Thursday granted bail until 14 January to Hedait Hossain Mollah, Khulna correspondent of Dhaka Tribune and online portal Bangla Tribune, in a case filed under the Digital Security Act for running a report on the election results of Khunla-1 constituency reportedly with false information, reports UNB.District and session’s judge Mashiur Rahman Chowdhury passed the order after hearing a bail petition filed by Hedait’s lawyer Masum Billah.Police arrested Hedait, also city editor of local newspaper Dainik Probaho, from Gallamari area in the city on Tuesday afternoon.Later on Wednesday, he was placed on a three-day remand in the case.Upazila Nirbahi Officer and Assistant Returning Officer Debashish Chowdhury filed the case with Batiaghata police station on Monday night against Hedait and Rashedul Islam, Khulna Bureau Chief of the Dainik Manabzamin and newly elected vice-president of Khulna Press Club.According to the case statement, Bangla Tribune and Manabzamin published report headlined ‘22,419 more than total votes cast in Khulna-1’ based on false and fabricated information.
HM Ershad and GM QuaderNearly two weeks after his removal, Jatiya Party chairman HM Ershad on Thursday reinstated his younger brother GM Quader as his party’s cochairman.A press release, signed by Ershad, said the decision came into effect on Thursday.The former military ruler, known for frequently changing his decisions, relieved GM Quader of Jatiya Party’s cochairman post and its organisational duty on 22 March.In a press release at that night, he alleged said Quader failed to run the party and created divisions in it. “He has been relieved of party’s organisational duty and the post of co-chairman in the interest of the organisation.”A day later, Ershad removed Quader from the post of the deputy leader of opposition in parliament, nominating his wife Raushan for the post.Earlier on 1 January, Ershad had picked his brother to run the party in his absence, and three days later he appointed his brother as the deputy leader of the opposition.
Pakistani prime minister Imran Khan attends talks at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, 2 November 2018. Photo: ReutersPakistan prime minister Imran Khan, addressing calls by his countrymen on social media and in his government to award him a Nobel Peace Prize for “de-escalating” tensions with India, on Monday said that he is not worthy of the honour.”I am not worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize. The person worthy of this would be the one who solves the Kashmir dispute according to the wishes of the Kashmiri people and paves the way for peace and human development in the subcontinent,” he tweeted.Supporters and officials of Khan’s administration started lobbying for a Nobel Peace Prize for him following his announcement to release Indian Air Force (IAF) officer wing commander Abhinandan who was captured by Pakistan on 27 February after his MiG-21 crashed inside Pakistani territory. He was released on 1 March.Soon after the Indian pilot was handed over to the Indian authorities, the hashtag “#NobelPeacePrizeForImranKhan” started trending in Pakistan on Twitter. Until Sunday, over 300,000 people had signed online petitions seeking the Nobel for Khan.A resolution was also submitted in the country’s National Assembly Secretariat last week for the same. The motion stated that Khan played a “sagacious role in reducing tension between Pakistan and India which was created due to warmongering attitude of the Indian leadership”.Meanwhile, the Pakistan Peoples Party, which had earlier questioned the timing of the release of the Indian pilot, expressed its sorrow over the ongoing campaign for the award.
Tunisia’s health minister Abdel-Raouf El-Sherif resigned on Saturday after 11 babies mysteriously died within 24 hours in a hospital in the capital, state news agency TAP said.The health ministry and state prosecutors have launched investigations into the cause of the babies’ death which was likely due to a blood infection, it said.Tunisians have complained about a decline of state services since the overthrow of Zine El-Abidine Ben Ali in 2011 which has brought a democratic transition but also thrown the country into an economic crisis.Government critics say the public sector is rife with corruption.