Wales boss Chris Coleman has called Bournemouth midfielder Shaun MacDonald into his squad for Friday’s friendly with Holland.MacDonald, 27, is drafted in as a replacement for Birmingham’s David Cotterill, who is facing up to three weeks on the sidelines with a knee injury.The Football Association of Wales confirmed the news on their Twitter account, saying: “#WALvNET SQUAD UPDATE: @afcbournemouth’s @ShaunMac20 is called into the Wales squad to replace David Cotterill.” Wales are already without Gareth Bale, Aaron Ramsey, Hal-Robson Kanu and Jazz Richards for the clash at the Cardiff City Stadium.The Holland friendly marks the start of Wales’ Euro 2016 build-up after qualification for next summer’s finals in France was achieved last month. Shaun MacDonald 1
Burak Yilmaz West Ham are set to return with an improved offer for Galatasaray striker Burak Yilmaz.Slaven Bilic tried to sign the Turkish international in the summer but the Hammers had a £3.5m bid rejected.However, according to Takvim, West Ham will come back with an improved offer in January as they try to bolster their attacking options.Yilmaz, who has scored five times this season, is under contract with Galatasaray until 2019.The 30-year-old is reportedly keen to test himself in one of Europe’s elite leagues and Galatasaray may want to cash in on him before his contract expires. 1
Guus Hiddink managed Memphis Depay during his time in charge of Holland 1 Guus Hiddink believes Memphis Depay’s form is suffering because he is having to overcome the pressure of being one of Holland’s brightest prospects while adjusting to the demands of the Barclays Premier League.Manchester United spent £31million to recruit the talented forward from PSV Eindhoven in the summer when he was already a member of Hiddink’s Holland national team – but like so many in a United shirt this season he has struggled to make an impression under manager Louis van Gaal.Hiddink, who has since begun his second reign as Chelsea’s interim manager, may not even see Depay play on Monday when Chelsea visit Old Trafford.Depay was substituted at half-time in United’s 2-0 defeat at Stoke – but Hiddink has defended the forward’s “talent”, and says the solution to improving his form comes in patience and with the assistance of United’s more senior players.“He’s a very young guy,” said Hiddink, who oversaw a 2-2 draw with Watford in his first game back at Stamford Bridge.“When he was in Holland he was one of the star players, at a very young age.“There is a lack of star players in Holland who are playing already many years in their league so at a young age he was bombarded as one of the big talents.“He has this talent but he’s also now having a confrontation with the demands of the Premier League, which are much higher in intensity of the game during 90 minutes.“That’s a period all players, not just him, have to overcome, and I think they need time for that.“He has this talent, but he’s also giving interviews saying ‘hey, I have to get used to another way of playing, the intensity of the games every three days, plus the intensity of the game’. Those guys, they need a bit the cover of experienced players.”
Anthony Caceres Manchester City have made their first January signing with the capture of midfielder Anthony Caceres from Central Coast Mariners for an undisclosed fee.The Australian club announced on Friday morning that a fee had been agreed with City for the 23-year-old and a club spokesman confirmed the completion of the deal to Press Association Sport.Caceres is not seen as a player who could challenge for a first-team spot any time soon and he could well be loaned out.Mariners head coach Tony Walmsley signed Caceres in 2011, and he told the club website: “We need to celebrate when players at the Central Coast Mariners are sold to bigger clubs. It’s our charter. It’s our intent.“When I brought Anthony Caceres to the Mariners his potential was obvious.“This move demonstrates how far Anthony has progressed and symbolises how giving youth a chance works for both the Central Coast Mariners and young aspirational footballers.”An obvious destination for Caceres would be City’s A-League sister club Melbourne City.The league does not allow clubs to buy players from each other, but a loan from Manchester City would be allowed.Melbourne boss John van’t Schip was coy on any loan move, with the Dutchman quoted in the Australian press saying: “Manchester City is getting him in. More or less, that’s it.“We can’t comment on (a potential loan move) but of course everybody knows he’s a good player, he’s one of the better players in the A-League. So we’ll just have to see.” 1
BUILDING: Drop in number of new homes may signal wider problems for the economy, analysts say. By Martin Crutsinger THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Construction of new homes plunged to the lowest level in 14 years in September as turmoil in credit markets intensified the problems in the housing industry. Consumer prices, meanwhile, rose at the fastest pace in four months, reflecting higher energy and food costs. The Commerce Department reported Wednesday that construction of new homes fell 10.2 percent in September to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.191 million units. The decline was more than double the 4.2 percent drop that analysts had been expecting, and it pushed activity down to the lowest level since March 1993. Meanwhile, the Labor Department reported that consumer prices rose by 0.3 percent in September, slightly more than the 0.2 percent that analysts expected as energy prices rose after three straight declines and food costs shot up at the fastest pace since June. Core inflation, excluding energy and food, remained tame, though, rising by 0.2 percent, in line with expectations. Analysts said the bigger-than- expected drop in housing construction could be signaling that the housing downturn, already the worst in 16 years, may be headed for bigger troubles. Housing activity is 30.8 percent below the level of a year ago. Asked whether the housing slump could push the country into a recession, President Bush told a news conference that “I feel good about many of the economic indicators” and said his administration was working to help homeowners deal with rising mortgage delinquencies. “When you got more houses than you got buyers, the price tends to go down. And we’re going to have to work through the issue,” Bush said. But private economists were not as certain that the steep housing slump will not cause a recession. “The contraction in housing is transitioning from an average downturn to among the worst in the post-World War II history,” said Michael Gregory, an economist with BMO Capital Markets. Many economists expect housing will trim growth by more than a full percentage point in the current quarter, but they believe the country will avoid an outright downturn because the Fed, which cut rates for the first time in four years in September, will cut rates again should further weakness develop. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Alternate plans distributed by Knatz at the Tuesday forum sponsored by the Coastal San Pedro Neighborhood Council juggle the number of berths and parking spaces at both locations. However, an impromptu vote called by one resident showed that none of the more than 30 people attending the forum supported putting terminals in the outer harbor. Attendees voiced concerns about the extra pollution, traffic, noise and light that more ships would bring, and noted that downtown merchants would suffer if tourists went straight to the outer harbor. Knatz said there is support for the terminal from some San Pedrans and that expanding the cruise terminals is the only way to deal with new, larger cruise ships, which have difficulty backing up or turning around in the inner harbor. When one resident asked if other waterfront projects ? such as a redeveloped Ports O’ Call ? would go forward if a new cruise terminal did not, Knatz said the improvements are “not tied to a cruise terminal at all” and that construction on the waterfront could begin in 2008. Another topic of contention was the Clean Air Action Plan and how it will be implemented. Many residents said they want to see new requirements for trucks, which contribute to the pollution around the port. Knatz acknowledged that their plan for low-sulfur fuel requirements was supposed to be adopted a few weeks ago, but faced opposition from the trucking industry. “Industry sued the California Air Resources board on their low-sulfur requirements,” Knatz explained, noting that the trucking industry won the suit. She announced that on Thursday, the port will be adopting a tariff measure that will implement some provisions of the Clean Trucks Program portion of the CAAP, and that she plans to work with the trucking industry to make it cleaner. “I don’t see any value in spending years in court fighting over the program. … It has to be sustainable,” Knatz said. Bruce Horton of the Coastal neighborhood council told Knatz that people are dying from pollution as they debate how to decrease it. “You tell those truckers and companies that when they have a plan that will stop people from dying, you’ll talk,” he said. Knatz encouraged residents who have strong feelings about the cruise ship terminals and the CAAP to make their feelings known to the Board of Harbor Commissioners, which makes decisions about port policy. firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Rachel Jones STAFF WRITER A proposal by the Port of Los Angeles for new cruise ship terminals on the San Pedro waterfront drew concern from many attending a public forum earlier this week. The proposal, presented by port Executive Director Geraldine Knatz, involves two cruise terminals in the inner harbor near Swinford Street and two more in the outer harbor at the end of Miner Street.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Talk about haute cuisine – 410 feet off the ground. One of France’s most decorated chefs is unveiling a revamped Jules Verne restaurant in the Eiffel Tower next month, the Journal du Dimanche newspaper reported. Alain Ducasse and Sodexho, the French catering services giant, took over management of the Jules Verne and the tower’s other restaurants earlier this year. The iconic Jules Verne restaurant, overlooking Paris from the second level of the 1,024-foot tower, underwent a makeover that Ducasse said he hoped will attract Parisians and tourists alike. “Jules Verne should be a restaurant of French tastes, in terms of design and cuisine,” he told the weekly paper. That means no egg rolls, he added. The unusual setting posed several challenges. All the furniture had to be weighed to meet the tower’s weight limits. Because of fire risks, the kitchen cannot use any gas that would produce flames. What’s next for Ducasse? “The Empire State Building,” the chef mused. “Or a restaurant on Mars, to be closer to the stars.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
This Monday morning on Sportsday we looked back on last night’s Euro 2016 action as France beat Iceland 5-2 to reach the semi-finals. We also previewed another action-packed day at Wimbledon as Andy Murray faces Nick Kyrgios in the last 16. And we also bring you the latest from another busy weekend of Super League action and look back on the Austrian Grand Prix. All brought to you by Will Gavin and the team.
Clinton N’Jie in action for Tottenham 1 Clinton N’Jie is determined to stay and fight for his place at Tottenham despite interest from Marseille.The 22-year-old forward arrived from Lyon in August in an £8.3m deal but failed to start a single Premier League game during his first season in England.He made a total of 14 appearances in all competitions but did not find the net once in a forgettable campaign for the youngster.Given his struggles in north London, a summer move back to France has been suggested.talkSPORT told you yesterday that Marseille were seemingly ready to approach Spurs about a switch, potentially as part of a swap deal with Georges-Kevin N’Koudou.N’Jie scored seven goals in 37 Ligue 1 outings for Lyon and Marseille reckon he could rekindle his best form back across the Channel.But, according to L’Equipe, N’Jie has held showdown talks with Mauricio Pochettino to discuss his role for next season amid the interest from Marseille.And, although he knows competition for places will be even greater, it has been reported that he is willing to stay at Spurs and force his way into the first team.
Southern California would get millions of dollars for local projects under a sweeping $516 billion budget bill being finalized Tuesday. In addition to $70 billion for the Iraq war, the plan gives California and other border states money for incarcerating illegal immigrants and clears away the final federal obstacles to tunneling under West Los Angeles for a “subway to the sea.” Yet not all Southland priorities found funding in the 3,565-page measure. Jo Maney, spokeswoman for Rep. David Dreier, R-Glendora, noted that Democrats put no money toward either the Alameda Corridor East or the Gold Line. The bill crams together 11 of the year’s 12 appropriations measures into a single package. And while local Democrats allowed that they were disappointed their party yielded to President Bush on Iraq, they said the concession was necessary to end the stalemate between the White House and Congress. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champ“We are where we are. No one wants to have the government shut down,” said Rep. Adam Schiff, D-Pasadena, the only Southern California Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee. “It’s not ideal, but there’s a lot of good investment in the omnibus bill.” Republicans, meanwhile, accused Democrats of dropping pet projects known as earmarks into the bill while cutting off support for U.S. troops and slashing funds for the border fence and other GOP priorities. “There was no focus on the budget this entire year. We had 41 votes on cutting off funding for our troops, and they let everything else just drop by the wayside,” said Rep. Elton Gallegly, R-Thousand Oaks. “Ultimately, the Democrats had all year to get this work done and the omnibus in its current form demonstrates their failure to govern effectively,” said Maney. The spending bill passed by the House late Monday included only $30 billion for Afghanistan and nothing for Iraq. On Tuesday, however, the Senate moved to insert as much as $70 billion for Iraq. The bill is expected to return to the House today for a final vote, and some Southland Democrats who oppose the war say they won’t sign off on it. “At this moment I can’t tell you, but I’m leaning against that funding,” said Rep. Hilda Solis, D-El Monte. Still, noted Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Sherman Oaks, the bill will pass regardless. “It may pass with more Republican votes than Democratic votes, but it will pass,” he said. Sherman said he also is reluctant to vote for legislation that continues to fund the war without imposing any restrictions on the administration. He and other Southland Democrats insisted the bill still makes important changes, spending more on rural health care, AIDS programs and veterans than Bush wanted. “It’s a far better budget than what the president proposed. We have to feel good about that, knowing this is a down payment on changes to this country,” said Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Los Angeles. They also hailed the slew of local projects tucked into the bill. Those ranged from $262.4 million for the Mars Exploration Program managed by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory to smaller investments like $1 million to improve Metrolink grade crossings and $392,000 for a transit center at Cal State Northridge. It also includes $13 million for cleanup of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory in Chatsworth and also demands that the Environmental Protection Agency team up with the Energy Department to conduct another survey for chemical and nuclear contamination. The measure also clears the way for a $4.8 billion subway line from the Los Angeles’ Westside to the Pacific Ocean by lifting a 20-year-old federal prohibition on tunneling. “Los Angeles has the worst traffic in the nation, and commuters find themselves in gridlock every day. This action by Congress moves Los Angeles a step closer to seeing the long-anticipated expansion of the Metro Red Line become a reality,” said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who worked to lift the ban with Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Los Angeles. Also tucked into the bill is a measure preventing commercial development at the West Los Angeles Veterans Center and $410 million for the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program, which reimburses states for the money they spend incarcerating illegal immigrants. That’s just $5 million more than Congress gave last year, and just a fraction of what the state spends. email@example.com (202) 662-8731160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!