Vermont and New York mark one-year since Champlain Bridge closure

first_imgVermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans) Secretary David Dill and New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) Acting Commissioner Stanley Gee this week marked the one year anniversary of the Lake Champlain Bridge closure on October 16 of last year, noting the significant progress made to provide travelers, especially those located in the vicinity of the bridge and dependent on transportation across the lake in their daily lives, with a link across Lake Champlain between Crown Point, NY, and Addison, VT. Today, the temporary ferry service is still in place providing round-the-clock transportation across the lake at no cost to passengers, and the underwater structures for the new bridge are nearly completed. Immediately following the bridge’s closure, New York and Vermont reached out to the surrounding communities through a series of public meetings to gather feedback and solicit input from residents and business owners on both sides of the lake. The states quickly began implementing the communities’ clear vision for restoring the corridor with a temporary ferry in the vicinity of the bridge and a brand new Lake Champlain Bridge at the same location. Community participation was crucial to choosing the site for the temporary ferry and for picking the design of the replacement bridge.VTrans Secretary Dill said “Opening the temporary ferry as quickly as possible was key to restoring the lives of both New Yorkers and Vermonters back to as close to normal as possible given the circumstances, and I am heartened at to hear from both residents and business owners that family life and economic vitality on both sides of the lake has rebounded significantly since the first ferry set sail. But as welcome as the ferry has been, we also realize that nothing short of opening the new bridge will completely restore our communities. To that end, everyone can rest assured that bridge construction will continue nonstop through the winter so that we can reestablish this vital economic, social and public-safety link as quickly as possible.”NYSDOT Acting Commissioner Gee said, “The New York State Department of Transportation, working with the Vermont Agency of Transportation, took the necessary steps to assure the safety of the traveling public when we closed the Lake Champlain Bridge. This bridge was an important piece of transportation infrastructure that connected people with employment, education and medical care. Responding to the need for this transportation link, NYSDOT and Vermont moved immediately to restore the connection with temporary ferry service while the permanent replacement bridge was being designed. I thank all of our partners for their hard work and dedication on this project, and I especially thank the communities on both sides of Lake Champlain for their input and patience as we build a new, state-of-the-art bridge to replace the former historic structure in this location.”Cracking in the bridge’s support piers prompted the closure and, if left untreated, could have led to structural failure and possible collapse, putting motorists and pedestrians in serious danger. By immediately closing the bridge, New York and Vermont were able to ensure the safety of the traveling public.The original Lake Champlain Bridge was demolished on December 28, 2009. While planning the complex demolition, the states also worked on building infrastructure to accommodate a temporary ferry. The ferry, carrying motorists across Lake Champlain every 15 minutes, opened in January of 2010. In the meantime, the two states worked on designing a replacement bridge to be located in the footprint of the old bridge. Several public meetings were held in New York and Vermont and the public was invited to vote in person and on-line on their preferred bridge design. The publicly preferred design – a Modified Network Tied Arch Bridge built of steel with an arch along the center span – was ultimately chosen to replace the Lake Champlain Bridge.Construction on the new bridge began in June, a short eight months after closing the bridge to traffic. Work has progressed on-schedule, with construction of bridge abutments and piers under way. Fabrication of the steel bridge members is progressing off-site. The project is on track to be completed next September, as scheduled. Source: VTrans. 10.16.2010. Photo by Ed Barna, Vermont Business Magazine.###last_img read more

Mangal wins Scotiabank’s Charity Golf tournament

first_imgFORMER Guyana Open Champion, Mike Mangal (64/9) ended in the top spot and walked away with the winner’s trophy, prevailing over Kalyan Tewari (68/9) and Rabindranath Persaud (68/24) in the Scotiabank’s Golfing for Charities tournament held last Saturday at the Lusignan Golf Course. The golfers teed off excitedly at 12:45pm, and by the time it was over, it was Mangal who was declared the winner of the event.For his winning effort,he was presented with $150,000 that will go towards funding a children’s charity of his choice,under Scotiabank’s Bright Future Programme.Tewari won $100,000 for his charity,while Persaud (Pandit Ravi) won $75,000,which will be donated to a charity of his choice under the program.Speaking after the win, Mangal noted that things were just in his favour and that lead to his victory. Mangal won despite having recently suffered serious head injuries, and only three months after being hospitalized“I just had a good game today. My short game [meaning his chip and putt play] was excellent, and that helped me to win.” Mangal saidLast year’s winner, Mahendra Bhagwandin, came in fourth,just behind Persaud.Tied with over net score of 68 each, it was the back 9 scores that saw Tewari (42) and Persaud (48) prevailing over Bhagwandin (49).Other close contenders at the top were Andre Cummings (69/12), Aleem Hussain (69/17), Parmanand Persaud (70/14) and 4 net 72 scorers Bholawram Deo, Fazil Haniff, Gavin Todd and Patrick Prashad.In other awards of the day, Dr Philbert London (Pope Emmanuel) won “Nearest to the Pin”, while “Longest Putt” went to Hilbert Shields. “Best Gross” (73) was won by Mike Mangal while Troy Cadogan walked away with the ‘Most Honest Golfer’award.Additionally, Ian Gouviea saw himself receiving a left-handed club this year, after he had also won a club last year, but it being a right handed club he could not receive it. This goodwill gesture was presented by Bank Manager, Brian Hackett.Club President,Oncar Ramroop,expressed thanks to Scotiabank,and particularly the representatives of Scotiabank,Robb Street Branch: Hackettt, and Marketing Manager, Jennifer Cipriani, during a small presentation ceremony that followed the competition.Making remarks on behalf of the Bank,Cipriani expressed the company’s joy at being able to support the activity.“Thank you for having Scotiabank as a partner with Lusignan Golf Club. Scotiabank is keen on helping people to get better, hence it is involved with Golfing, where it is recognised that golfers do not really receive much for the expensive involvement, as well as being involved in the Charities component.” She said.Several other Robb Street Branch staff members and their families were on hand to witness the presentation ceremony.Charitable organisations identified by Saturday’s winners were Bless The Children Home in Industry,chosen by Mangal; Joshua House,chosen by Tewari;and David Rose School,chosen by Persaud (Pandit Ravi).The day’s event was further extended with the drawing of 2 raffles;one for the Media personnel present, in which each member of the Media received a gift; and another raffle for every member that participated in the tournament, so that each player received a second gift, as at the start of the day’s play each golfer was given a sleeve of balls, compliments of Scotiabank..last_img read more

Quadri, Assar Get Opponents at World Cup

first_imgAfrican Cup champion, Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri will battle South Korea’s Lee Sangsu and United States’ Kanak Jha for a place in the main draw while Egypt’s Assar drawn in Group C will contend against host player – Belgium’s Cedric Nuytinck and Russia’s Alexander Shibaev.12 of the 20 players have been drawn into four groups of three each with the two top players in each group progressing to the main draw where they are expected to be drawn against the eight seeded players including world and Olympic champion, China’s Ma Long and former world number one, Germany’s Timo Boll.At the draw conducted on Wednesday, Quadri first group match will be against the Korean while Assar’s first match will be against the Belgian who will also be relying on home support against his opponents.A determined Ma Long, who won the tournament in 2015, said that he is eagerly looking forward to the tournament which has most of the best players in the world.“After my first visit to Belgium in 2008, I am happy returning and I am looking forward to a good performance after my last outing at the Chinese National Games. I feel challenged in all competition particularly with the presence of young players coming through from China and that is what makes the Chinese team very strong. I am ready for the challenge and I am ready to adapt to it and take each match as they come,” Ma Long said.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Africa’s representatives at the 2017 ITTF World Cup, Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri and Egypt’s Omar Assar have been drawn in Group A and C of the three-day tournament holding in Liege, Belgium.The tournament which has the best 20 players drawn across the world through qualifiers will on Friday October 20, at the Country Hall in Liege begin hostilities at the third most prestigious tournaments in the ITTF Calendar.last_img read more

MAJOR SURVEY REVEALS HOW LETTERKENNY RESIDENTS ADMIT NOT FEELING AS SAFE AS OTHERS

first_imgResidents in Letterkenny have admitted they don’t feel as safe or secure in their town as the rest of people across Ireland.The statistic was one of many thrown up by an in-depth survey carried out by Retail Excellence Ireland.Donegal’s largest town came 24th in the top 100 towns in Ireland. The town fared well in the survey and outperformed the national average by 14 per cent (80 per cent) in terms of its selection and standard of retail stores. Letterkenny is six per cent better presented and maintained than the national average.However, while the town was found to have 7% more competitively priced car parking than the average, citizens rated the town below the national average for car parking availability.The town’s streetscape, while rated marginally above the national average, is an area that could be improved upon, said judges.Westport won the overall winner’s award.   MAJOR SURVEY REVEALS HOW LETTERKENNY RESIDENTS ADMIT NOT FEELING AS SAFE AS OTHERS was last modified: October 14th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:letterkennyRETAIL EXCELLENCE IRELANDlast_img read more