The WBO champion has already called out Smith on social media and Saunders would pose a threat with his southpaw stance and elusive fighting style. This would also be a huge fight in the U.K., with both men putting their belts and undefeated records on the line. Frank Warren, Saunders’ promoter, has also hinted that the fight could be made.Daniel Jacobs (35-3, 29 KOs)After losing to Alvarez in May, “The Miracle Man” has expressed the possibility of stepping up to super middleweight and what better way than to take on the No. 1-ranked fighter in the division. Both men are signed to Matchroom Boxing, so negotiations would be simple enough to make. Join DAZN and watch GGG vs. Rolls on June 8″I want the big fights, I want the big names,” Smith said during his post-fight press conference. “Canelo is a very good fighter. I believe he is the best 160-pound fighter in the world. If he does decide to move up in the future, it’s a fight I would be willing to take.”If that fight doesn’t come to fruition, there are other options for Smith as well.With Smith wanting to be back in action again this September, here are five potential opponents.Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (52-1-2, 35 KOs)The unified middleweight champion and WBA (Regular) super middleweight titleholder made light work of Rocky Fielding when the pound-for-pound star stepped up to 168 pounds in December. Canelo also defeated Smith’s brother, Liam Smith, in September 2016, so a revenge match against the Mexican could favor the Liverpool-born fighter.Furthermore, Canelo called Smith out after he defeated Daniel Jacobs last month. With both Canelo and Smith under the DAZN banner, the fight could be negotiated easily between Oscar De La Hoya (Golden Boy Promotions) and Eddie Hearn (Matchroom Boxing). The WBA would also be interested in having its “Super” and “Regular” champions facing off.Chris Eubank Jr. (28-2, 21 KOs)After winning the IBO title with an impressive display against James DeGale (25-3-1, 15 KOs) in February, Eubank has moved up to No. 2 in the world ranking. Significant improvements have been made in Eubank’s fighting style and his defense would give Smith a test. Eubank has a big enough personality to sell the fight as a main event to boxing fans in the U.K., but if Smith wants to continue to grow his brand in the U.S., then he may need to look elsewhere. Anthony Dirrell (33-1-1, 24 KOs)The WBC super middleweight titleholder is a possible opponent considering Callum Smith’s desire to unify the division. Dirrell was last in action in February, when he defeated Avni Yildirim, so he would have plenty of time to prepare for a September date with “Mundo.” Billy Joe Saunders (28-0, 13 KOs) Callum Smith, the unbeaten WBA (Super) super middleweight champion, made a winning return to the ring Saturday night with a third-round TKO victory over Hassan N’Dam at Madison Square Garden.Smith (26-0, 19 KOs) dropped N’Dam three times — once in each round — before the referee ended the fight, cementing “Mundo’s” dominant showing in his first bout since defeating George Groves in the World Boxing Super Series last September. Now, he’s ready for a greater challenge and perhaps a showdown with the face of boxing himself, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez.
After a month of operating only drive-thru testing sites for the novel coronavirus, Florida will open its first two walk-up COVID-19 testing locations on Saturday in Broward County.Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Thursday that tests will be conducted at Mitchell Moore Park, 901 N.W. 10th St., Pompano Beach, and at the Urban League of Broward County, 560 NW 27th Avenue, Fort Lauderdale.“Not everyone has access to a car,” DeSantis said. “We need to be able to reach … particularly into underserved communities.”The walk-up sites, which will be operated with the assistance of the National Guard and Broward Sheriff’s Office, will each serve 200 residents per day.The governor added that anyone with symptoms can either walk to the testing sites or call for an appointment, (954) 412-7300.“We hope the response is good,” DeSantis said.As of Thursday morning, the state reported that 220,892 people have been tested for the novel coronavirus.In addition, there have been 28,726 tests in Broward, and 3,459 people or 12.1 percent have been diagnosed with infections, records show.Worldwide, there are over 2.1 million cases and 142,148 deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins University & Medicine Coronavirus Resource Center.
By Jay Cook |FREEHOLD – A Colts Neck youth tennis teacher has been indicted on varying charges of sexual assault and other misconduct involving a student and other local children.A 15-count indictment was handed up by a Monmouth County grand jury on Feb. 2 charging Terry Y. Kuo, 26, of Colts Neck, according to a statement by Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.The charges against Kuo, who also went by the name “Victor Lee,” stem from a police investigation during the summer and fall of 2017 after a 13-year-old tennis student accused Kuo of sexual misconduct, said Gramiccioni.An investigation by the Marlboro Township Police Department and the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Special Victim’s Bureau and Computer Crimes Unit allegedly turned up child pornography on Kuo’s electronic devices and improper conduct with other children, according to police.Kuo is scheduled to be arraigned on Feb. 20 before Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Vincent N. Falcetano.Kuo is represented by Mitchell Ansell, a criminal defense lawyer and partner at the Ocean Township-based Ansell, Grimm & Aaron, PC law firm.In an interview with The Two River Times, Ansell said his client refutes the charges.“On behalf of Terry and his family, he vehemently denies these charges,” said Ansell. “He plans on vigorously fighting these charges in court.”Ansell added, “There’s a lot more to this story than what’s been printed in the media.”Kuo was charged in the indictment with one count of first degree attempted aggravated sexual assault, one count of second degree attempted sexual assault, one count of first degree causing or permitting a child to engage in child pornography, one count of second degree manufacturing child pornography, one count of third degree possession of child pornography, one count of fourth degree lewdness, two counts of third degree aggravated criminal sexual contact, one count of fourth degree stalking, one count of second degree endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of third degree endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of third degree obscenity, Gramiccioni said.If convicted on the attempted aggravated sexual assault charge, Kuo could face up to 20 years in state prison. The sexual assault is punishable by up to 10 years.According to Kuo’s LinkedIn page, he is the founder and chief operating officer at ATS Tennis, 36 Artisan Way in Colts Neck, which Ansell confirmed. The address is also the location of the Colts Neck Racquet Club.Ansell said he expects the case to be heard within the next six months.“We’ll probably have a lot more to say as the case progresses,” Ansell said.Anyone with information is asked to contact either Detective Edward Ungrady of the Marlboro Township Police Department at 732-536-0100 ext. 1099 or Detective Shawn Murphy of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-431-7160 ext. 7032.This article was first published in the Feb. 8-15, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
zoom The Port of Los Angeles has increased its security measures at the West Basin Container Terminal, following a security breach on August 16.The incident involved a suspected car thief who climbed on a loading gantry crane at the terminal after a police chase across the city. Several hours later, the man fell some 150 feet onto a docked freighter from the crane, where he was pronounced dead.The incident involving the subject in a stolen car “illegally entering one of our terminals is something that we will learn from and we have taken immediate interim steps to correct,” Gene Seroka, Port of Los Angeles Executive Director, said.Additionally, the port is conducting a thorough review of security at all of its terminals.As interim steps, stringent modifications to access points are now in place at the West Basin Container Terminal, along with additional security personnel and road barriers, among other measures. Long term solutions are being evaluated by the port and other agencies.
Gary Clark Jr., Todd Snider and the Raelyn Nelson Band will join Farm Aid at its annual benefit concert at Walnut Creek Amphitheatre on Saturday, Sept. 13, the organization announced today.“Over the past 29 years, hundreds of artists have stood with family farmers and electrified Farm Aid audiences,” said Farm Aid Executive Director Carolyn Mugar. “Farm Aid is proud to welcome these talented performers to our stage for the first time.”Gary Clark Jr., Todd Snider and the Raelyn Nelson Band join the already star-studded Farm Aid 2014 lineup, which features Farm Aid board members Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neil Young and Dave Matthews — with Tim Reynolds — as well as Jack White, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Jamey Johnson, North Carolina’s own Delta Rae, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Carlene Carter, Pegi Young & The Survivors, and Insects vs Robots.Tickets for Farm Aid 2014 are available at www.livenation.com, the Walnut Creek Amphitheatre box office, all Ticketmaster outlets or by phone at 800-745-3000. There are a limited number of tickets available.The all-day music and food festival offers concert-goers family farm-identified, local and organic foods with its own HOMEGROWN Concessions and hands-on activities in Farm Aid’s HOMEGROWN Village.Farm Aid is partnering with eBay and Auction Cause to offer concertgoers a chance to bid on premier concert experiences and autographed memorabilia beginning this Thursday, Aug. 14. For more information, click here. Farm Aid is also teaming up with IfOnly to offer unique VIP Packages as well as autographed Gibson guitars to benefit Farm Aid. For more information, click here.Concertgoers can enhance their Farm Aid experience with the official Farm Aid 2014 mobile app, which will be available soon for iPhone and Android.For concert updates, visit www.farmaid.org/concert.Farm Aid’s mission is to build a vibrant, family farm-centered system of agriculture in America. Farm Aid artists and board members Willie Nelson, Neil Young, John Mellencamp and Dave Matthews host an annual concert to raise funds to support Farm Aid’s work with family farmers and to inspire people to choose family farm food. Since 1985, Farm Aid, with the support of the artists who contribute their performances each year, has raised more than $45 million to support programs that help farmers thrive, expand the reach of the Good Food Movement, take action to change the dominant system of industrial agriculture and promote food from family farms.
APTN National NewsA First Nation suburb in Whitehorse is in shock after a young woman was found dead on a local trail.Brandy Vittrekwa was found Monday night and police are calling her death a homicide.APTN’s Shirley McLean reports her death comes just days after a vigil was held in Whitehorse in the memory of murdered and missing Indigenous women.