Indian journalist wrongly accused of “wantonly” inaccurate reporting

first_img RSF_en Help by sharing this information After the young woman died of her injuries in hospital, the police quickly cremated her body the next day, fuelling speculation that they wanted to destroy evidence. The police then blocked access to the district to prevent reporters from interviewing the family. “The police are deliberately lumping together unverified comments by politicians with the MoJo Story’s rigorous journalistic reporting,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. “This is clearly a case of judicial harassment aimed at silencing any independent investigative coverage of this case. We urge the Uttar Pradesh prosecutor’s office to immediately dismiss this accusation, which is not based on any credible evidence, and furthermore violates the criminal procedure code by denying Barkha Dutt access to the case.” India is ranked 142nd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index. News Lumped together News As she reported in a tweet at the time, Dutt tried to circumvent the police roadblock by walking several kilometres across fields but the police caught her, put her in a police van, and deposited her back on the road, outside the sealed-off area. IndiaAsia – Pacific Media independence Judicial harassment The accusation concerns Dutt’s coverage of the death of two teenage girls who are Dalits (members of the Indian group formerly known as “untouchables”). They were found poisoned in a field in Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district after going missing on 17 February. February 23, 2021 Indian journalist wrongly accused of “wantonly” inaccurate reporting Organisation News According to the police, Dutt is accused under criminal code article 153 of “wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot,” which is punishable by up to a year in prison. The police were almost certainly annoyed that her reporting included interviews with members of the family of the two murdered girls, who said the police pressured them to quickly cremate their bodies. IndiaAsia – Pacific Media independence Judicial harassment Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the judicial harassment of Barkha Dutt, a reporter in northern India’s Uttar Pradesh state, who is wrongly accused of falsely reporting that two murdered girls had been sexually assaulted. The prosecutors must drop the case against this journalist, RSF said. center_img April 27, 2021 Find out more India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival News This is a highly sensitive claim coming just five months after the alleged gang-rape and subsequent death of a 19-year-old Dalit woman in Hathras, another Uttar Pradesh district, in September – a case that received a great deal attention throughout India, as RSF reported at the time. to go further In this photograph taken on June 12, 2020 journalist Barkha Dutt (C) reports from Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) hospital in New Delhi. She is the target of a First information Report filed by Uttar Pradesh police on 21 February, 2021 (photo: Prakash Singh / AFP). Follow the news on India June 10, 2021 Find out more Blocked access RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 The FIR names Dutt’s Twitter account, @themojostory, along with seven other Twitter accounts, including those of several politicians who claimed the girls were sexually assaulted. The MoJo Story report never claimed this, but the FIR says it did. Dutt’s request for a copy of the FIR has been refused by the police, thereby preventing her from legally disputing the accusation. Barkha Dutt, who often reports for the Washington Post and runs a YouTube local news channel called MoJo Story, told RSF that she regards the accusation brought against her, in the form of a police “First Information Report” (FIR) on 21 February, as a “harassment attempt” and “pure intimidation.” Receive email alerts March 3, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

WE CAN TRUST THE FBI, RIGHT?

first_imgWE CAN TRUST THE FBI, RIGHT? by Will DurstThis huge brouhaha between the FBI and Apple has escalated into a battle royale between the righteous and the wicked. And, as often happens, both sides are claiming to be on the side of the angels. With so many good guys in attendance, it’s amazing that world-wide badness is still so pervasive. But you can’t blame television for everything.The Feds want Apple to create specialized software in order to bypass the auto-erase feature of the San Bernardino terrorists’ iPhone. They don’t just want access to a backdoor, they want Apple to design a backdoor, construct it then hand them the only key. And snacks. They want snacks too.It’s the age-old battle between security and privacy, safety and confidentiality, minty freshness and chocolaty richness. But once breached, there’s no going back. It’s a slope more slippery than a caffeinated eel in a bathtub full of bacon grease. No such thing as a virgin repair kit, you know.The FBI says they only need to do this once. Yeah, right. Federal investigators in 11 other jurisdictions have already filed motions seeking access to suspects’ iPhone data. A Manhattan DA has 175 phones he wants to crack. Get ready to open a Pandora’s Box of 4th amendment violations, full of venomous snakes ready to spring out and bite us in the butt. Repeatedly.The problem is, you let one government into your back door and every other government is going to break land-speed records to stand in line to do the same and not all of them are familiar with the concept of lubricant, if you catch my drift. Besides, no global company, not even one located in Cupertino, California, can say yes to Obama and nyet to Putin. China? North Korea? Seriously?The FBI says we need to trust them. Isn’t this the same FBI that vowed for years they weren’t conducting illegal surveillance on Americans until it was revealed they were? And the same FBI that offered flawed testimony in thousands of court cases resulting in prosecutions, some of which led to executions? You mean that FBI? I wouldn’t trust that FBI as far as I could throw two handfuls of glue.And the fallacy of the backdoor code remaining secure is so laughable it should be green-lighted its own sitcom on Comedy Central. The claim that nobody else would be able to get their hands on this technology is either woefully ignorant or further demonstration of an ineptitude approaching that of a Sherman tank in the upper branches of an elm tree.The only way to guarantee security in this, the 7th year of the 2nd decade of the 21st century, is through a self-imposed sentence of solitary confinement. The term “internet privacy” is like saying “transparent cement” or “blazing snow.” Last October a 16-year-old kid hacked CIA Director John Brennan’s personal email. Why doesn’t the FBI hire him?Sides are being chosen. Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg supports Apple while Bill Gates has come down on the side of the FBI. He would. And finally, supporting the FBI’s position, the walking contradiction known as Donald Trump called for a patriotic boycott of Apple in a tweet. That he sent out on his iPhone. You can’t make stuff up like this.——-FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

West End the place to live

first_imgCara Jade with Samuel, 2, and Matthew, 3, ride near their West End home. Picture: Evan MorganWEST End resident Cara Jade says she wouldn’t live anywhere else in Townsville thanks to the suburb’s character homes and family-friendly feel.Ms Jade has lived in West End for the past two years with her two sons Samuel, 2, and Matthew, 3 (pictured).More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020She said she had seen the suburb evolve with new shops opening and beautiful renovations being completed on historic homes. Ms Jade said West End was ideally located, being close to top-quality schools, the CBD, and shops.“The location is great, I like the heritage style of the homes and it’s just a really nice place to live,” she said.“I feel really safe and here I regularly ride my bike with the boys around the streets and because it’s so quiet here you hardly even see a car. “The neighbours are great as well and everyone looks out for each other.”Ms Jade said she had witnessed the suburb become more popular among young people while living there.“I have really seen it pick up with little shops opening up and it seems to be a place for young professionals and families,” she said.last_img read more

Illegal sex workers access million-dollar taxpayer-funded health programme

first_imgNZ Herald 31 May 2018Family First Comment: New Zealand legislation specifically excludes migrants holding temporary visas from being able to lawfully work in the sex industry. “It is disturbing that both the ministry and NZPC are knowingly aiding illegal forms of prostitution in NZ, and using taxpayer funding to facilitate that work,” McCoskrie said. “Turning a ‘blind eye’ to illegal migrant workers will simply open up a huge market for trafficking and exploitation which, based on local anecdotal evidence and international experience, will harm women.”Illegal sex workers are accessing a million-dollar taxpayer funded sex programme, a Herald investigation can reveal.The Ministry of Health (MOH) funds $1,099,944 excluding GST annually to the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective (NZPC) for health programmes across the country for sex workers.In a response to an email enquiry by a local sex worker, the ministry confirmed that the services were “from time to time” being accessed by sex workers who are not legally able to work in New Zealand.The programmes include sexual health and family planning, weekly sexual health clinics in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, and needle exchange services in Tauranga and Auckland.The ministry’s service commissioning director Jill Lane said the prevention of HIV and Aids and the health, safety and welfare of all sex workers and their clients remained its “prime focus”.Family First national director Bob McCoskrie slammed the ministry and NZPC for using taxpayer money to “knowingly aid” illegal prostitution.New Zealand legislation specifically excludes migrants holding temporary visas from being able to lawfully work in the sex industry.“It is disturbing that both the ministry and NZPC are knowingly aiding illegal forms of prostitution in NZ, and using taxpayer funding to facilitate that work,” McCoskrie said.“Turning a ‘blind eye’ to illegal migrant workers will simply open up a huge market for trafficking and exploitation which, based on local anecdotal evidence and international experience, will harm women.”NZPC national co-ordinator Catherine Healy said the collective runs five community-based programmes and had more than 10,700 engagements with sex workers last year.READ MORE: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12061215NZ sex workers undercut by illegal foreign prostitutesTVNZ One News 31 May 2018A wave of foreign prostitutes working in breach of their visas is taking work from locals, sex workers say.While some women advertising on sex work websites as foreign visitors would have residence or citizenship, immigrants now outnumbered New Zealanders in the industry, Christchurch prostitute Amber O’Hara* said.“The New Zealand sex industry is now on a quite predictable trajectory, containing mainly illegal sex workers willingly travelling here to work from countries where it is illegal,” she said.“Yet it’s a see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil situation from those with the actual power to help.” One of the main sex work websites advertised more than 800 women, separated into Asian and non-Asian prostitutes. “It will mean that New Zealand ladies who do want to work, who are straight with the IRD and trying to do the right thing, can actually run a sustainable business without unfair competition from people who are not doing the right thing by our law. A registration scheme on sites would mean only those eligible to work could advertise – and ensure everyone was paying tax, Ms O’Hara said.center_img Immigrants taking New Zealanders’ jobs would not be allowed in other industries and the country was seen as a soft target for women who could makes thousands on a sex work holiday, Ms O’Hara said. “It wouldn’t be a problem if there were just a few fly-by-nighters but, if you count the ads, New Zealanders are easily outnumbered.”READ MORE: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/nz-sex-workers-undercut-illegal-foreign-prostituteslast_img read more

Vote now for the Fuller’s London Pride Steward of the Year

first_img29 Jul 2014 Vote now for the Fuller’s London Pride Steward of the Year Does your golf club steward go that extra mile for customers at their bar? Then vote now for the Fuller’s London Pride Steward of the Year.Fuller’s and England Golf are looking for someone who offers the warmest welcome, the best service and a great knowledge of their products, as well as that ‘extra something’ which  makes them stand out from the crowd.Whoever wins the London Pride Steward of the Year will receive a weekend break in London, complete with accommodation for two nights in a Fuller’s Central London Hotel. They will also win advertising space in the local press to promote their golf club.Everyone who nominates a candidate will go into a prize draw to win a case of London Pride and an England Golf polo shirt.The 2013 winners were Simon and Karen Ward of Wilmslow Golf Club in Cheshire (Image © Gill Shaw) – the first couple to be crowned Fuller’s London Pride Golf Stewards of the Year.When the result was announced Simon commented: “This is such an honour and we can’t thank our members enough for their support. This has come from our members – and if they’re happy, we’re happy!”last_img read more

Rebuilding Together Celebrates 10 Years By Bringing DIY Celebrities To Thurston…

first_imgFacebook11Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Rebuilding TogetherRebuilding Together Thurston County, a local nonprofit that focuses on providing critical repairs & maintenance for low income homeowners that are veterans, disabled, elderly or families with children at no cost to them is celebrating their 10 year Anniversary in DIY Style!Excitement will build “My Fix it Up Life” stars arrival at Rebuilding Together’s County Wide Bowling Tournament April 7th.  Teams of 5 at $25 each, this FUN-raiser is expected to bring in $15,000 to advance the work of RTTC. 3 locations- Tumwater, Westside Lanes and Yelm, bowlers will get a chance to win tickets to the VIP Champagne Welcome of Mark & Theresa on April 12th.April 13 & 14 Mark & Theresa of “My Fix it Up Life” build a play structure LIVE during the OMB Home Show!  Mark & Theresa are bringing Tim Williams, Musician, and their video crew to capture the excitement at the both the Champagne Welcome and OMB Home Show!  The play structure & TOOLS will be silent auctioned off to benefit the work of Rebuilding Together Thurston County.  For more information call 360.539-7830 or email:  [email protected]last_img read more

Jason Holder rues run-outs after West Indies suffer humiliating defeat in Mumbai

first_imgWest Indies lost two of their first three batsmen including in-form Shai Hope to run-outs and when chasing as big a score as 378, it is the last thing a team would want.And, West Indies captain rued the run-outs of two of their most important batsmen up the order as West Indies lost the fourth ODI at the Brabourne Stadium by 224 runs on Monday.Hope, who had scored 250 runs before the start of the match, was the first one to bite the dust among the two.Hope flicked the ball away towards mid-wicket and set off for a tight single. Kuldeep Yadav stationed at mid on moved to his right, got to the ball and quickly picked it up and fired a direct hit at the non-striker’s end.Stats: India crush West Indies for their 3rd biggest win in terms of runs in ODIsThe second was Kieran Powell. Marlon Samuels pushed the ball towards covers off the back-foot and Powell took off but Virat Kohli was quick as he dived to get to the ball and under armed it at the stumps at the bowler’s end and hit the bull’s eye. The run was never on and the wicket put Windies in further trouble and reduced them to 20/3 in just 5.2 overs.India vs West Indies 4th ODI HighlightsAnd, Holder felt that losing two of their best players cost the visitors dearly.”Run-outs are something that you don’t want in one day or in any limited-overs cricket. Two of our better players as well and it really set us back up front. It was a lot to do to rebuild to get up to 370 odd. You try not to get run-out, you try to build a partnership up front which we never got,” Holder said.advertisementAlso read – After I get to a hundred, my aim is to see how far I go: Rohit SharmaHe also expressed his disappointment with the lacklustre display of his side and said that they never got the momentum in the match.”We didn’t play well enough today [Monday]. We allowed them to score too many runs. We never got going with the bat and the application definitely was not there. Lost wickets up front, and didn’t bat well enough. Didn’t get enough momentum,” said Holder.The West Indies captain also spoke about the issue that everyone has been talking about — Holder batting up the order. At Brabourne, coming out to bat at No.7, he remained not out on 54 and before Monday, he along with Hope and Shimron Hetmyer looked one of the most solid batsmen for the tourists. But, for reasons unknown he has continued to come below Rovman Powell.Read – Rohit Sharma becomes second-most prolific six-hitter for India in ODIsBut, speaking at the post-match conference, he said that he has heard the suggestion and might take it into account in the last match on Thursday.”I have been hearing that [batting up the order] for a long while. The structure of the team probably needs to be looked at and obviously I want to get up the order as well. Probably, next game you could see that,” said Holder before walking off.Also Read – West Indian bowler Keemo Paul mimics Shikhar Dhawan in funny send-offThe last ODI of the five-match series will be played at the Greenfield International Stadium in Thiruvananthapuram on November 1 and the Windies will look to bring their ‘A’ game in that and level the series 2-2 and go into the T20I series on a positive note.last_img read more

Club Meds twoday Toronto popup includes VR and giveaways

center_img TORONTO — Club Med’s two-day pop-up in downtown Toronto at Yonge-Dundas Square continues today, as part of a two-day event Feb. 14 – 15. Guests can step into a heated glass-walled truck designed to look like one of the 65+ Club Med resorts in Mexico and the Caribbean.Inside the truck, complete with sand, palm trees and tropical fruits, guests can also use Virtual Reality goggles to transport themselves to the setting of a resort. Usually reserved for the booking process, Club Med’s VR and 360-videos are giving Torontonians a glimpse of the ‘Amazing You’ with experiences like flying trapeze and sailing.To keep warm in the winter weather, Club Med is also handing out hot cocoa and branded hand warmers to passersby.Visitors have the opportunity to post pictures from their visit to the pop-up on social media using #ClubMedAmazingTO for the chance to win a trip for two to one of Club Med’s destinations. Online entries will also be possible by registering at ClubMedAmazingYou.comMore news:  Apply now for AQSC’s agent cruise ratesThe Club Med pop-up resort will be at Yonge-Dundas Square on Feb. 15 until 7 p.m. The contest runs until Feb. 28 at 11:59 p.m. For more information visit ClubMedAmazingYou.com. Posted by Sharelast_img read more