RSF urges President Ciampi to take a firm stand against the current threat to pluralism of information

first_img News Follow the news on Italy Help by sharing this information ItalyEurope – Central Asia Organisation RSF_en Reporters Without Borders (RSF) today expressed alarm at Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s strong criticism of several journalists of the state-owned TV network RAI and called on President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi to veto a law being pushed through parliament, saying freedom of information was in danger in Italy.”The fears we have been voicing for months have now been confirmed,” RSF secretary-general Robert Ménard said in a letter. “Berlusconi is stepping up pressure on RAI, filling it with his henchmen and breaking his promise to resolve the conflict of interest between his job as prime minister and his position as head of a privately-owned media conglomerate.”The so-called “conflict of interest” bill aimed at resolving it “has no teeth,” Ménard said. “We ask you to veto this law, demand proper guarantees and, as guardian of the Constitution, take a firm stand against the current threat to pluralism and freedom of information in Italy.” At a press conference in Sofia (Bulgaria) on 19 April, Berlusconi, owner of the media group Mediaset, fiercely attacked three RAI journalists who have criticised his government and hinted that they should be removed. He said the way the three – Biagi, Santoro and Luttazzi – were using a public TV network “paid for by all taxpayers” was “criminal.” A few days earlier, on 16 April, three people close to the government coalition were named to head the programming and news departments of two of the three RAI stations. RSF notes that through the holding company Fininvest, Berlusconi controls Italy’s main privately-owned TV group, Mediaset, which runs the country’s three main private stations, and is among the majority shareholders in Mondadori, one of Italy’s main press and publishing groups.He promised in May last year that he would resolve the conflict of interest between his political position and his control of Mediaset. However, the bill currently before the senate does no more than set up a body to see that government officials do not make decisions favouring their private business interests. It would not affect Berlusconi’s ownership of or influence over Mediaset.The first draft of the bill, passed by the chamber of deputies, had to be amended after being criticised by most people as so inadequate that the government’s parliamentary majority feared President Ciampi would refuse to sign it into law. But Ciampi does not seem to have seriously considered doing this, despite several times expressing concern about media diversity. RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive ItalyEurope – Central Asia April 24, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 RSF urges President Ciampi to take a firm stand against the current threat to pluralism of information November 23, 2020 Find out more News December 2, 2020 Find out more Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union Receive email alerts to go further November 19, 2020 Find out more News Silvio Berlusconi is stepping up pressure on RAI, filling it with his henchmen and breaking his promise to resolve the conflict of interest between his job as prime minister and his position as head of a privately-owned media conglomerate. RSF urges President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi to veto a law being pushed through parliament, and demand proper guarantees. News On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabialast_img read more

New U21 tournament proposed

first_img The clubs that finished in the top eight of the Premier League’s under-21 development league would take part – apart from Liverpool who decided to not to take up the chance, allowing West Ham in instead. The clubs are: Chelsea, Fulham, Leicester, Manchester City, Manchester United, Southampton, Sunderland, West Ham. The eight clubs from Europe are: Celtic (Sco), Athletic Bilbao (Spa), Benfica (Por), Borussia Monchengladbach (Ger), Schalke (Ger), Porto (Por), PSV Eindhoven (Hol), Villarreal (Spa). The Premier League is planning a new under-21 tournament this season involving other clubs in Europe – but claims the competition is not a rival to FA chairman Greg Dyke’s ambitions for a ‘B-league’ involving top-flight reserve sides. Press Association The plan, which the Premier League is hoping will receive UEFA’s blessing, would see eight under-21 sides from England’s top-flight play against eight others from countries including Spain and Germany as well as Scottish champions Celtic. In May, Dyke’s England Commission proposed a B league to operate below League Two aimed at giving young players more match experience – something that the new Premier League competition also aims to do. Premier League communications director Dan Johnson said its proposal had been under consideration for several years and was unrelated to Dyke’s scheme. Johnson told Press Association Sport: “We do believe it would be good for the development of talented young players but it is not an answer to the B league proposal at all. It is something we have wanted to do for a number of years. “We are keen to work with UEFA on what we think is a good development opportunity and there has been a lot of support from clubs on the continent. “Our view is that an under-21 competition with a significant programme of international fixtures at lower age levels is a good opportunity to expose players to this level of competition. “We now need to work with UEFA for their agreement.” That could present some problems however as UEFA already has its own under-19 tournament that shadows the Champions League. The Premier League believe however that the age difference of the two competitions would allow them to co-exist. Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore said earlier this year that a B league would damage the football pyramid that currently exists in the English game while the Football League has also opposed it. The new Premier League competition would see 16 clubs split into four groups of four, with the winners and runners-up going through to quarter-finals which would be played over two legs. Up to three over-age players would also be allowed. last_img read more

Whicker: Ex-Dodger Jeff Shaw walked away from baseball to watch his son Travis play – and now we all do

first_img How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire “When he was a freshman in high school, he hit nine or 10 home runs. I could see that swing developing.”Jeff coached Travis all the way up and was an assistant on his Washington High team. Jeff and his wife Julie are in Grove City now, having downsized with the kids gone. Younger son Griffin is at Florida Atlantic studying finance.Jeff is also a grand-dad, and that’s a story in itself. Travis and wife Lindy have daughter Ryann, who developed Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome while in the womb. The left side of her heart couldn’t pump blood sufficiently. Ryann was born June 5 of last year and had two surgeries in her first four days on earth.Somehow Travis had his best month at the plate. Ryann is progressing, although one more surgery is upcoming.Meanwhile, Jeff is playing golf and “hanging out.” He has seen other retirees struggle to replace the competitive rush.“Maybe that happened to me my first couple of years out,” he said, “when I was probably being a little too tough on Travis. But I didn’t have anything else to prove.”What would have happened if Cincinnati never had traded him? General Manager Jim Bowden told him he wasn’t going anywhere. Then Shaw was called out of the bullpen during a game with St. Louis. Bowden told him he’d been dealt to the Dodgers for Paul Konerko.Shaw was still living in Washington Court House, commuting to the games.“My wife is going to kill you,” Shaw told Bowden.Sign up for our Inside the Dodgers newsletter. Be the best Dodger fan you can be by getting daily intel on your favorite team. Subscribe here.There was a catch. Tommy Lasorda had just become the Dodgers’ general manager. He made the deal but didn’t realize Shaw had the right to request a trade after the season. Then Shaw could become a free agent.“Every day in the lunch room, Tommy would come up and say, ‘You’re not going to leave me, are you?’’’ Shaw said, laughing. “I’d say, ‘Tommy, I’ll make that decision at the end of the season.’”Kevin Malone became the GM and the Dodgers signed Shaw for $15.5 million over three years. That gave Shaw his exit route.Related Articles MILWAUKEE — Before Eric Gagne finished the ninth inning for the Dodgers, Jeff Shaw did.He did not belch fire or welcome anybody to the jungle. Shaw was more like the termite inspector, or the guy who made the “check engine” light go away. He fixed things, shook hands, and left.In 1997, he led the National League with 42 saves for Cincinnati. He had 48 in 1998, with the Dodgers acquiring him July 4.After 2001, Shaw’s contract expired. He was 34 years old and never threw another pitch. He became one of the few major league athletes who wrote his own farewell, even though he could have signed somewhere for more money, more saves, more hotel rooms far from Washington Court House, Ohio. Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies In “Ball Four,” Jim Bouton wrote that you think you’ve been gripping a baseball all these years. Turns out, it was gripping you. Shaw is the exception to that rule.“I had a son who was going into middle school and those are crucial years,” Shaw said Thursday. “I didn’t want to be a parent from the other end of the telephone anymore. I wanted to be with the family and coach him and just be a dad. In my mind, I had felt like I had done enough.”Travis Shaw is playing for the Brewers in this National League Championship Series, which resumes Friday night in Milwaukee.Milwaukee’s Travis Shaw is congratulated by teammates in the dugout after scoring in the sixth inning of Game 3 of the National League Championship Series at Dodger Stadium on Monday, Oct. 15, 2018. (Photo by Keith Birmingham, Pasadena Star-News/SCNG)In 2017, he hit 31 homers, after Milwaukee took him from Boston in a lopsided trade for reliever Tyler Thornburg. This year, he hit 32.“He’s comfortable in Milwaukee,” Jeff said. “He played well in Boston, but he got away from that atmosphere, where they’re all over you when you do anything wrong. They did move him to second base (from third) and I admit, I was a little skeptical. I didn’t know if he could make that turn. He told me, ‘Dad, I can do this.’ Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco center_img Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Shaw stresses this was a decision about family over business, not about Small Town Life vs. Gomorrah. Travis played Conejo Valley Little League ball with Jett Bandy, the former Angels catcher now with the Brewers. The Shaws lived in Westlake Village, not suspecting that Christian Yelich, now the Brewers’ leading man, was drinking his postgame juice boxes nearby.“Later on, I ran across a letter Travis had written,” Jeff said. “He said living out there was the most fun he’d ever had.”Travis is arbitration-eligible and can hit the free-agent bazaar in 2022. He also has a dad and a daughter to remind him when enough is enough. Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season last_img read more

Real Madrid v Atletico in Champions League semis

first_imgShare on: WhatsApp REPEAT IN SEMis: Real Madrid’s Spanish defender Sergio Ramos (C) lifts the trophy next to Real Madrid’s Croatian midfielder Luka Modric (L) and Real Madrid’s French forward Karim Benzema (R) after Real Madrid won the UEFA Champions League final football match between Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid at San Siro Stadium in Milan, on May 28, 2016. AFP PHOTONyon, Switzerland | AFP | Holders Real Madrid will face city rivals Atletico in the Champions League semi-finals next month and French surprise-package Monaco take on Juventus, following the draw on Friday.The all-Madrid showdown is a rerun of the 2014 and 2016 finals in Europe’s top club competition, with Real victorious on both occasions. We have our rival for the @ChampionsLeague semi-finals! ?? @realmadriden #GoAtleti #UCLdraw pic.twitter.com/z1McmaXWTS— Atlético de Madrid (@atletienglish) April 21, 2017last_img read more

Youth Tennis Coach Indicted Sexual Assault, Child Porn Charges

first_imgBy Jay Cook |FREEHOLD – A Colts Neck youth tennis teacher has been indicted on varying charges of sexual assault and other misconduct involving a student and other local children.A 15-count indictment was handed up by a Monmouth County grand jury on Feb. 2 charging Terry Y. Kuo, 26, of Colts Neck, according to a statement by Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.The charges against Kuo, who also went by the name “Victor Lee,” stem from a police investigation during the summer and fall of 2017 after a 13-year-old tennis student accused Kuo of sexual misconduct, said Gramiccioni.An investigation by the Marlboro Township Police Department and the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Special Victim’s Bureau and Computer Crimes Unit allegedly turned up child pornography on Kuo’s electronic devices and improper conduct with other children, according to police.Kuo is scheduled to be arraigned on Feb. 20 before Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Vincent N. Falcetano.Kuo is represented by Mitchell Ansell, a criminal defense lawyer and partner at the Ocean Township-based Ansell, Grimm & Aaron, PC law firm.In an interview with The Two River Times, Ansell said his client refutes the charges.“On behalf of Terry and his family, he vehemently denies these charges,” said Ansell. “He plans on vigorously fighting these charges in court.”Ansell added, “There’s a lot more to this story than what’s been printed in the media.”Kuo was charged in the indictment with one count of first degree attempted aggravated sexual assault, one count of second degree attempted sexual assault, one count of first degree causing or permitting a child to engage in child pornography, one count of second degree manufacturing child pornography, one count of third degree possession of child pornography, one count of fourth degree lewdness, two counts of third degree aggravated criminal sexual contact, one count of fourth degree stalking, one count of second degree endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of third degree endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of third degree obscenity, Gramiccioni said.If convicted on the attempted aggravated sexual assault charge, Kuo could face up to 20 years in state prison. The sexual assault is punishable by up to 10 years.According to Kuo’s LinkedIn page, he is the founder and chief operating officer at ATS Tennis, 36 Artisan Way in Colts Neck, which Ansell confirmed. The address is also the location of the Colts Neck Racquet Club.Ansell said he expects the case to be heard within the next six months.“We’ll probably have a lot more to say as the case progresses,” Ansell said.Anyone with information is asked to contact either Detective Edward Ungrady of the Marlboro Township Police Department at 732-536-0100 ext. 1099 or Detective Shawn Murphy of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-431-7160 ext. 7032.This article was first published in the Feb. 8-15, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.last_img read more