… Uncapped duo earn Test call-up(REUTERS) – South Africa have called on the uncapped pair of Heinrich Klaasen and Theunis de Bruyn for the three-match Test series in New Zealand next month, while there is also a return for fast bowler Morne Morkel.Wicketkeeper-batsman Klaasen will act as cover for Quinton de Kock, while de Bruyn is retained from the squad that beat Sri Lanka by an innings and 118 runs in their last Test in Johannesburg in January.Right-hander Klaasen finished the domestic four-day competition with 635 runs at an average of 48.84, including a best of 195.Fast bowler Duanne Olivier, the leading wicket-taker in domestic cricket this season, made his debut in that game, posting match figures of 5-57, and has been retained.There is also a recall for fit-again Chris Morris, whose last Test was against England in January 2016, while Morkel has also spent the last 13 months on the sidelines with back problems.“Heinrich Klaasen was one of the top performers throughout the (domestic) season and he is rewarded for his form,” Cricket South Africa selection convener Linda Zondi said in a statement yesterday.“Morne Morkel has worked hard on his fitness over the past few months, and we believe he is now 100 percent fit and fully able to compete for his place in the team.”The other seamers in the squad are Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada and Wayne Parnell, with Keshav Maharaj the only recognised spinner.The side will be captained by Faf du Plessis, with leading batsman AB de Villiers announcing earlier in the year that he would not be available for this tour.The first Test starts in Dunedin on March 8. South Africa have won their last three Test series, away in Australia and home to New Zealand and Sri Lanka.South Africa squad: Faf du Plessis (captain), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Stephen Cook, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Dean Elgar, Heinrich Klaasen, Keshav Maharaj, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Duanne Olivier, Wayne Parnell, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.
The investigation into a 12-hour shooting spree across the Canadian area of Nova Scotia continues today. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police says 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman dressed up as a cop with a fake police car and started his rampage Saturday night. By the time Wortman was shot and killed by police, at least 17 people were dead, including an officer, in what’s now Canada’s deadliest mass shooting. Police don’t know Wortman’s motive but investigators say it seems clear this wasn’t just a random act.
29 Jul 2014 Vote now for the Fuller’s London Pride Steward of the Year Does your golf club steward go that extra mile for customers at their bar? Then vote now for the Fuller’s London Pride Steward of the Year.Fuller’s and England Golf are looking for someone who offers the warmest welcome, the best service and a great knowledge of their products, as well as that ‘extra something’ which makes them stand out from the crowd.Whoever wins the London Pride Steward of the Year will receive a weekend break in London, complete with accommodation for two nights in a Fuller’s Central London Hotel. They will also win advertising space in the local press to promote their golf club.Everyone who nominates a candidate will go into a prize draw to win a case of London Pride and an England Golf polo shirt.The 2013 winners were Simon and Karen Ward of Wilmslow Golf Club in Cheshire (Image © Gill Shaw) – the first couple to be crowned Fuller’s London Pride Golf Stewards of the Year.When the result was announced Simon commented: “This is such an honour and we can’t thank our members enough for their support. This has come from our members – and if they’re happy, we’re happy!”
By Jay Cook |In the midst of the Facebook and Cambridge Analytica personal privacy and data release scandal which has dominated the 24-hour news cycle in recent weeks, one of New Jersey’s own federal representatives were questioned and challenged Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg during his second consecutive day in Washington, D.C.U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (NJ-6), the ranking member of the federal Committee on Energy and Commerce, was given the floor and delivered a critical opening statement to Zuckerberg on Wednesday morning.“Facebook is just the latest in a never-ending string of companies that vacuum up our data but fail to keep it safe,” Pallone said as Zuckerberg sat in front of him. “This incident demonstrates yet again that our laws are not working.”On Wednesday, U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (NJ-6), of Long Branch delivered the opening remarks at a hearing at which Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testified before the federal House Energy and Commerce Committee. Pallone is the ranking member.The hearings come after Facebook came under fire for not protecting who can access its personal privacy data. A third-party app created by Aleksandr Kogan collected data from over 80 million Facebook users which was then given to Cambridge Analytica for use in the 2016 presidential election.To prevent that from happening again, Pallone pushed for more legislative oversight.“We need comprehensive privacy and data security legislation,” said Pallone. “We need baseline protections that stretch from internet service providers to data brokers to app developers and to anyone else who makes a living off our data. We need to figure out how to make sure these companies act responsibly even before the press finds out.”Zuckerberg, who was questioned at length on Tuesday by representatives from both political parties, doubled down on the positive impact Facebook has had on the world. He said 70 million small businesses use the social media site to grow and it’s helped organize social movements like #MeToo, March for our Lives and Hurricane Harvey relief efforts last summer.“It’s clear now that we didn’t do enough to prevent these tools from being used for harm as well, and that goes for fake news, foreign interference in elections and hate speech, as well as developers and data privacy,” said Zuckerberg. “We didn’t take a broad enough view of responsibility and that was a big mistake. It was my mistake and I’m sorry.”Holmdel’s DiMaso Pushing for More Gun LegislationSince being sworn in four months ago, Assemblywoman Serena DiMaso (R-13) is making one of her first pushes for legislation in Trenton. Last week, DiMaso, along with Assemblywoman Nancy Munoz (R-21), made a call for legislators to take action on 10 bills designed to make New Jersey schools safer.The bills were drafted with guidance and information learned through hearings after the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. The legislative push also comes nearly two months after the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting on Feb. 14 where 17 students and staff were gunned down by a former student.“Many school districts are doing everything they can to ensure their schools are as safe as possible, but the state can do more to help ensure those districts are using the best practices,” DiMaso said in a news release.The bills call for additional supervision over student and staff identification in schools, more enhanced communication and better training for school staff.“Everyone should feel safe at school: students, parents, and teacher alike,” said DiMaso. “Making sure that all our schools are using the best plans will ease all concerns.”Here is a list of the proposed bills:• Requiring the attorney general and Education Department to share best practices on school security with school districts (AR154), based on recommendation No. 4 of the 2015 N.J. School Security Task Force report.• Training for all school employees and local police on how to handle a school emergency (A3787 and A3793), based on recommendation No. 5 of the 2015 N.J. School Security Task Force Report and recommendation No. 5.10 of the 2013 N.J. SAFE Task Force Report.• Create a 24-hour State Police hotline for tips that must be shared with local police and school officials (A3789), based on recommendation No. 5.1 of the 2013 N.J. SAFE Task Force Report.• Better real-time communication between school security, emergency responders and law enforcement during emergencies, and procedures to notify parents (A3788), based on recommendation No. 10-12 of the 2015 N.J. School Security Task Force Report.• Require all school employees and students to carry identification cards (A3790), based on recommendation No. 27-31 of the 2015 N.J. School Security Task Force Report.• The Department of Education must review and rate all school safety and security plans and school district emergency communications policies (A3791).• Require DOE and Homeland Security to develop online forum for schools to share best practices (A3792), based on recommendation No. 5.12 of the 2013 N.J. SAFE Task Force Report.Stoler Suspends Primary Race Against Incumbent SmithInstead of a head-to-head race with longtime Republican incumbent U.S. Rep. Chris Smith (NJ-4) in the June primary elections, his challenger and fellow Republican Felicia Stoler bowed out of the race earlier this month, so she can face Smith in the November general election.Stoler is now running as The Inclusion Candidate and has focused her campaign on term limits, tort reform, family law, health care, education affordability and taxes.“I want to give people in the district a real choice in November,” Stoler said.“I want to hear from all of you,” Stoler continued. “I want to hear what’s important to you, I want to address your issues so that you have fair representation regardless of what party you are a registered voter for.”Stoler, 51, is a registered dietician professional with offices in Red Bank. She’s been featured on national broadcasts with Fox & Friends, ABC News, CBS News and NBC News.To keep Two River area residents up to date on the political movements countywide and in their respective towns, The Two River Times will be compiling local coverage and notices of different happenings from now up until the November 2018 elections. Please send additional tips, notes or information to reporter Jay Cook at [email protected] article was first published in the April 12-19, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
There was no mistake on the better team at this tournament.The L.V. Rogers Bombers outscored the opposition 21-1 to capture the Kootenay High School AA Girl’s Soccer Championships. The Bombers rocked Stanley Humphries Rockers 10-1 before trouncing David Thompson Lakers of Invermere 11-0 to coast to the title.Bomber keeper Kat Garbula had very little work in both games, registering the shutout against the Lakers.It’s the second time in as many years LVR has won the Kootenay Zone tournament.The Bombers are off to the AA Championships May 30 to June 1 at Mark R. Isfeld High School in Courtney.The tournament draw has yet to be released.