February 5, 2021 Find out more News Organisation KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia KazakhstanEurope – Central Asia January 15, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Kazakhstan Photo: RFE/RL Reporters Without Borders is relieved that the journalist Tokbergen Abiyev has “reappeared” after causing much concern by going missing on 20 December (see below) but is appalled to learn that he irresponsibly staged this disappearance to make people think he had been kidnapped.“This episode would be laughable if the situation of freedom of information in Kazakhstan were not so serious,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The last thing the country’s journalists needed at this critical juncture was to be discredited by an unacceptable hoax by a member of their own profession.“While we hail the work of the police in this case, we are still awaiting convincing results in the investigations into Oralgaisha Omarshanova’s real disappearance in 2007 and last year’s attempted murders of Lukpan Akhmedyarov and Ularbek Baitailak.”Reporters Without Borders added: “Abiyev’s ill-conceived stunt must not deflect attention from the current unprecedented crackdown on Kazakhstan’s independent and opposition media. They have more need then ever of the international community’s support.”Abiyev caused a stir in Kazakhstan and abroad by going missing on 20 December shortly after announcing that he would make important revelations at a news conference the next day. The police launched a major search for him and finally found him hiding in an apartment he had rented in Astana. No one was holding him against his will.At a news conference he gave on 4 January, he said he had staged his abduction in order to draw the attention of both the public and government to his fight against corruption. He explained that he had rented the apartment in advance specially for this purpose, and had planned to spend a month there before announcing that he was safe and sound.He added that he had hoped to obtain an interview with President Nursultan Nazarbayev after resurfacing. Although criticized by his colleagues, he claimed that he did not regret doing what he did.——25.12.2012 – Journalist missing after announcing intent to shed light on corruptionReporters Without Borders is very worried about Tokbergen Abiyev, a journalist who went missing in the Kazakh capital of Astana on 20 December shortly after announcing that he would reveal important facts about corruption at a news conference the next day. Abiyev heads the “Zakon i Pravosudie” (Law and Justice) Media Alliance and is the former editor of a newspaper of the same name. He is also the founder and editor of the Abiyev.kz news website.“There is little doubt that Abiyev’s disappearance is linked to the news conference he had planned to give the next day,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We urge the Kazakh authorities to carry out a rapid investigation and do everything possible to locate him. The probability that his disappearance is linked to his work as a journalist must be taken seriously by the police in charge of the case, who must guarantee the impartiality of their investigation. Abiyev’s life may be at risk and every second counts.”After returning to his office at around 9 p.m. on 20 December, Abiyev went out again about an hour later saying he was going to get information for the next day’s news conference and would return soon, fellow journalist Andrey Taranov said. He has not been seen since and did answer any of the calls that his colleagues began making to him shortly after midnight.In an email he sent to Astana-based journalists earlier in the day, Abiyev wrote: “Dear Colleagues, Tomorrow, 21 December (…) an exclusive news conference will be held (with the title of) ‘A corrupt person must go to prison.’ You will not be disappointed. Your presence is expected.” The email also said that the news conference would be about “the Astana government’s corruption and despotism.” Abiyev’s wife reported his disappearance to the Astana police on 22 December. A message was also sent to the National Security Committee (KNB). The police say they are currently conducting preliminary enquiries.Abiyev was released from prison last May on completing the three-year sentence he received in 2008, when he was Zakon i Pravosudie’s editor. He was convicted of giving a bribe to a representative of the financial police to obtain confidential information about judicial police officers. Abiyev said his arrest was directly linked to his work as a journalist.One of his Zakon i Pravosudie colleagues, Oralgaisha Omarshanova, went missing in 2007 and was never found.Abiyev’s disappearance comes amid a dramatic decline in the climate for the media in Kazakhstan. The past 12 months have seen an unprecedented increase in persecution of independent and opposition journalists culminating in a recent ban on the main national opposition media. Kazakh reporter accuses police of attacking her to go further Receive email alerts News January 7, 2013 – Updated on January 20, 2016 “Missing” journalist reappears, but freedom of information doesn’t News News Reporters prevented from covering Kazakh parliamentary elections Regional newspaper editor harassed after investigating real estate scandal Help by sharing this information RSF_en October 30, 2020 Find out more
Spring flight over fish. (Photo by Jane Knox)Best friends sunning on rocks near Monhegan island. (Photo by Jane Knox)Black-capped chickadee feeding on some sweet sap from a rock maple tree. (Photo by Tom Oliver)Downy woodpecker with the diagnostic black spots on the white side tail feathers. (Photo by Tom Oliver)Snowy owl at Biddeford Pool where it has been for most of the winter. (Photo by Tom Oliver)Sunrise overlooking Clearwater Lake in Industry. (Photo by Paige Plourde)Geese feeding in a field in Canton. (Photo by Dennis York)A sign of spring. Crocuses bloom by the Wilton post office. (Photo by Dennis York)Crocuses in Wilton. (Photo by Dennis York)A pair of geese in a cornfield. (Photo by Dennis York)Old chairs on a porch, Mt. Vernon. (Photo by Don Waterhouse)Whistlestop Trail(s): Snowmobile tracks in a field below merged with bush branches. (Photo by Bill Jennings)
By Jay Cook |FREEHOLD – A Colts Neck youth tennis teacher has been indicted on varying charges of sexual assault and other misconduct involving a student and other local children.A 15-count indictment was handed up by a Monmouth County grand jury on Feb. 2 charging Terry Y. Kuo, 26, of Colts Neck, according to a statement by Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni.The charges against Kuo, who also went by the name “Victor Lee,” stem from a police investigation during the summer and fall of 2017 after a 13-year-old tennis student accused Kuo of sexual misconduct, said Gramiccioni.An investigation by the Marlboro Township Police Department and the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Special Victim’s Bureau and Computer Crimes Unit allegedly turned up child pornography on Kuo’s electronic devices and improper conduct with other children, according to police.Kuo is scheduled to be arraigned on Feb. 20 before Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Vincent N. Falcetano.Kuo is represented by Mitchell Ansell, a criminal defense lawyer and partner at the Ocean Township-based Ansell, Grimm & Aaron, PC law firm.In an interview with The Two River Times, Ansell said his client refutes the charges.“On behalf of Terry and his family, he vehemently denies these charges,” said Ansell. “He plans on vigorously fighting these charges in court.”Ansell added, “There’s a lot more to this story than what’s been printed in the media.”Kuo was charged in the indictment with one count of first degree attempted aggravated sexual assault, one count of second degree attempted sexual assault, one count of first degree causing or permitting a child to engage in child pornography, one count of second degree manufacturing child pornography, one count of third degree possession of child pornography, one count of fourth degree lewdness, two counts of third degree aggravated criminal sexual contact, one count of fourth degree stalking, one count of second degree endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of third degree endangering the welfare of a child and two counts of third degree obscenity, Gramiccioni said.If convicted on the attempted aggravated sexual assault charge, Kuo could face up to 20 years in state prison. The sexual assault is punishable by up to 10 years.According to Kuo’s LinkedIn page, he is the founder and chief operating officer at ATS Tennis, 36 Artisan Way in Colts Neck, which Ansell confirmed. The address is also the location of the Colts Neck Racquet Club.Ansell said he expects the case to be heard within the next six months.“We’ll probably have a lot more to say as the case progresses,” Ansell said.Anyone with information is asked to contact either Detective Edward Ungrady of the Marlboro Township Police Department at 732-536-0100 ext. 1099 or Detective Shawn Murphy of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office at 732-431-7160 ext. 7032.This article was first published in the Feb. 8-15, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
A quartet of Whitewater Skiers will be in Vernon later this month to compete at the 2012 B.C. Winter Games.The foursome made the grade during a qualifying race earlier this season and is now off to represent the Kootenay Zone at the provincial competition.Staff at Mallard’s Source for Sports wants to add to the celebration with Team of the Week accolades. The Whitewater skiers include, from left, Jessie Thruston, Liam Jones, Haley Mitchell, Savannah Leishman.The B.C. Winter Games are being held Feburary 23-26 in Vernon.
Captains Paul Palmer Jr and Leon Johnson of the Jamaica Scorpions and Guyana Jaguars, respectively, are both expressing confidence heading into their WICB First-Class Championship top-of-the-table clash at Sabina Park today.Undefeated Jaguars are putting their 100 per cent win record on the line against second-place Scorpions, who after a defeat in their opener away to Barbados Pride, has rebounded to post three straight wins.”It should be a very good game of cricket,” said Palmer, whose team will be going for three from three at Sabina Park this season.”We are at home, and whenever we are at home, we are always confident, and put our best foot forward.”Scheduled for a 10 a.m. the encounter will see Jamaica attempting to build on victories over Trinidad and Tobago Red Force, Windward Islands Volcanoes and Leeward Islands Hurricanes.
More than 1,000 U.S. businesses and organizations have signed a letter to Congressional leaders urging that they oppose the Trump administration’s plan to withdraw federal funding for the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program. The Associated Press reports that major manufacturers such as United Technologies, Ingersoll Rand, and Staples affirmed that Congress should strengthen the program, not weaken it, and that Energy Star has been a successful collaboration between public and private interests. In all, 1,050 businesses and organizations signed the letter.Energy Star is a voluntary program launched in 1992 designed to encourage energy efficiency in a wide range of consumer products. The program has saved an estimated $430 billion in utility bills in the last 25 years. The EPA says that 85% of the American public recognizes the Energy Star label as a sign of efficiency.The move to drop the $50 million in annual program costs from the federal budget is part of the Trump administration’s plan to reduce spending at the EPA from $8.3 billion to $5.7 billion a year, a 31% cut. Programs on efficiency and climate change would be especially hard hit.But many U.S. business leaders say that the plan to defund Energy Star is misguided, says Kateri Callahan, president of the Alliance to Save Energy, an advocacy group that organized the business letter.“I don’t know who recommended shutting down this program to the president, but I can assure you it was bad advice that would hurt American businesses, consumers, and our overall economy,” Callahan said.The full text of the letter, sent to congressional leaders on April 24, can be found here.
“You’re not our teammate, you’re not our friend. You’re family,” Pedroia said. “And it will be like that until the day you die.”With that, Ortiz broke out the handkerchief.“Man, the little guy made me cry,” he said. “Wow.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Hall of Famers Carl Yastrzemski, Pedro Martinez, Wade Boggs and Jim Rice — whose numbers preceded Ortiz’s to the Fenway facade — were the only ones who could know how he felt.“It’s an honor to get to see my number right next to all those legends,” Ortiz said before his No. 34 was unveiled along the right-field roof boxes on Friday night.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“I remember hitting batting practice on this field; I always was trying to hit those numbers. But I never thought about having my number up there,” he said. “Every player that is up there did things that are very, very special for this ballclub and this community.”Ortiz retired last season as one of the most productive offensive players in franchise history, and the single-most important player to wear a Red Sox uniform in a century. With three World Series titles — including the 2004 championship that ended an 86-year drought — Ortiz dragged the ballclub out of its dynasty of disappointment and gave a fresh generation of Bostonians reason to fall in love with the Red Sox anew. Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Boston Red Sox baseball great David Ortiz, right, laughs with Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez, Friday, June 23, 2017, at Fenway Park in Boston as the team retired Ortiz’s jersey No. 34 worn when he led the franchise to three World Series titles. It is the 11th number retired by the Red Sox. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS—David Ortiz stepped up to the microphone, wiped the tears from his eyes and waited for the sold-out Fenway crowd to shout “Papi!” a few more times.The Red Sox stood at the top step of their dugout. The Los Angeles Angels tipped their caps. Friends and family and dignitaries from two countries lined the infield. Three World Series trophies glistened in the twilight sun.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage View comments 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide LATEST STORIES MOST READ What ‘missteps’? Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Son of a famous drummer, Van Halen makes own name in track But it was Ortiz’s defiant speech after the Boston Marathon bombings that cemented him as a civic hero and helped prompt the Red Sox to retire his number less than a year after he retired. As a nod to his foul-mouthed challenge to those who would test the city’s resolve, Ortiz took the microphone on Friday with the welcome, “This is his (pause) city.”“There wasn’t an empty seat,” Ortiz said afterward. “It made me feel like one of the important games we had where the fans wanted to be there from the very beginning and show love and support. It was pretty amazing.”Ortiz is the 10th Red Sox player to have his number retired, and he was joined by four of the others, plus family representing the ones who couldn’t be there. Also recognized during the ceremony were representatives from the Dominican Republic, the city of Boston, and family of Minnesota Twins Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett, from whom Ortiz adopted both his No. 34 and his ever-present smile.“Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to give Boston the greatest gift ever: my compadre, David Ortiz,” said Martinez, who helped convince the Red Sox to sign Ortiz in 2003, a year before their curse-busting title. “You are a great ambassador of the game. I don’t have enough words to say today how proud I am, and how proud of a papa I feel today. “Yes, he is ‘Big Papi.’ But I feel like ‘Grampa.’”Current second baseman Dustin Pedroia, Ortiz’s teammate on the 2007 and ’13 World Series champions, came out of the dugout to be enveloped in a giant bear hug.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games
“F**king hell. Unbelievable,” McGregor said, with a huge grin on his face.Whether or not McGregor could indeed pull off the upset remains to be seen, as the two enigmatic superstars are set to clash at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, on Aug. 26. Khristian Ibarrola /raSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next MOST READ WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Serena Williams cheered by netizens after answering John McEnroe’s backhanded compliment What ‘missteps’? LOOK: Netizens abuzz over confirmed McGregor-Mayweather boutOne of the most vivid and graphic forecasts came in the way of a colorful mural showing the Irish sensation clocking the undefeated pound-for-pound boxing great with his patented left straight.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutA clip of the 28-year-old UFC lightweight champion seeing the artwork for the first time has become viral on social media.As seen in a one-minute clip, McGregor is completely in awe upon entering the boxing gym and seeing an illustration of himself against the legendary Mayweather. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ LATEST STORIES Now that the Conor McGregor versus Floyd Mayweather Jr. mega-fight is finally a done deal, fans are constantly offering their predictions left and right.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Ciaran Clark pondered quitting Newcastleby Paul Vegas13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United defender Ciaran Clark sought talks with manager Steve Bruce over his future in the summer.The Evening Chronicle says the centre-back spoke to Bruce after interest was shown in the Ireland defender. Crystal Palace were among the sides who looked at Clark, who made his first start of the season on Sunday against Manchester United. But Bruce told he that he wanted to “assess” his options, and utilised Clark – who has been “waiting for his chance”.